Sunday, July 22, 2012

DIY Tile Coasters

I am moving into my first apartment this August and i can't wait to decorate! I have been going crazy on pint rest pinning hundreds of cute apartment ideas. Last year I was digging around in the basement and I came across a bunch of tile that was extra from when we re-tiled the bathroom in our old house. Ever since, I have been looking for a fun craft project for them. I don't know where I originally saw this idea, but I have seen it many times since. This whole project took maybe 30 minutes total spread out over a few hours. It is super simple and they turned out WAY better than I expected! However, I was using the camera on my phone so the pictures aren't that great :(

Supplies:
-tile (they can be any shape, mine were 3" squares. They can be purchased at pretty much any hardware store)
-cute scrapbook paper
-mod podge
-felt
-scissors
-craft spray gloss

    First, cut the scrapbook paper so that it covers the top of your tile. A few tips: some scrapbook paper is thicker than others.  Buy the thinner kind, it will make your life much easier. Also, don't worry about covering your whole tile perfectly. My edges were rounded a little so I just left a little boarder of tile. After you have cut all of your paper glue the paper to the tile using the mod podge. Make sure that your tile is clean and that you don't go too crazy with the mod podge because an excess may cause the paper to wrinkle. Once dry (or a few minutes later if you are impatient like me) put a layer of mod podge over the scrapbook paper. Make sure to cover all of the way to the edge of the tile. Let it dry completely. Apply a second coat. Let it dry completely. Cut your felt into squares that cover the underside of the tile to protect your furniture. Mod podge the felt into the bottom of the tile. Once everything is dry take the tile outside and apply a layer of a clear, shiny, craft spray. I just used clear spray paint. This just makes everything a little waterproof and shiny. Apply two coats if desired. Now grab yourself a drink and admire your work :)

   I made these with a friend. Mine are the polka dot, stripped and flowered set. 





2 comments:

  1. Adorable. I want to make a couple on big tiles to put plants on. Wouldn't that be cute? How waterproof are they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be super cute!! I just dunked mine into a sink full of water and soaked it for a minute or two and it is fine!

    ReplyDelete