Wednesday, July 4, 2012

DIY Tie Onesie

      My cousins first birthday was a few weeks ago and while I was shopping for a present I saw some adorable onesies that had ties on them. They were way overpriced so I decided to make one myself. It was a little tricky to get the shape of the tie just right, but it came out really cute!




Materials:
-plain onesie (any color works)
-material scrap





     I used scraps of material that were 20 inches long and around 4 inches wide. I folded mine in-half (so it was 10 inches long) with the right side of the material facing in and then drew a tie onto using a pen. This was the hardest part of the whole project. It takes a few tries to get it right. Some advice: draw the tie bigger than you actually want it to be so that when you sew it and flip it right side out you don't end up with a really skinny tie!















       Once you are happy with the tie that you have drawn sew along the sketched lines that make the sides and bottom of the tie, but not the top. Cut out the tie. Flip the tie right side out and iron it. Make sure the tie looks good on your onesie. I had to make three of them so it was exactly how I wanted it. Since the top edge of the tie is a raw edge, fold the raw edge inward about  half an inch and iron it. Pin the tie onto your onesie. Finally, sew all along the edge of the tie. Sewing the tie onto the onesie is pretty tricky as well. I was using a size 18 mo. and it was almost too small to fit on the sewing machine so just make sure you go slow and are very careful while attaching the tie.



Happy sewing and happy fourth!

















       

No comments:

Post a Comment