Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Cake Balls

           If you can't tell from my last entry, I have been in a cooking mood. I cannot wait until I have my own kitchen next year and I can cook anytime I want! A few fridays ago I was babysitting and decided that we  should attempt to make cake balls. A friend at school had a christmas party and she made chocolate covered cake balls, and they were amazing! I asked her how she did it and she said that she has a waffle-iron type of thing that makes the cake balls. I do not have one of those waffle iron things and don't really want to buy one so I decided to try and make them on my own. Word of caution: this makes a HUGE mess. Especially when done with three kids.
        All you have to do is buy a box of cake mix (we used fun-fetti), a tub of icing (you could use homemade but this was easier), and a two bags of chocolate chips. First, bake the cake. Second, use your hand to crush it up into small pieces. Mix about half of the tub of frosting into the crushed up cake. This is where it gets really messy. Once the mixture is thick enough to roll into balls but not too sticky refrigerate for about an hour. Roll the ball into half inch circles and place on a cookie tray that is lined with wax paper. Refrigerate again for half an hour. Melt the chocolate in a small bowl. Dip the cake balls in one at a  time and place back onto the wax paper. At this point we were impatient to try them so we stuck them in the freezer for 10 minutes so the chocolate could harden. Once the chocolate is hard, dig in!

Happy Baking!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment