Saturday, October 15, 2011

Spaghetti Squash and Some Homemade Sauce

           Alright guys here we go again!! Sorry for the long absence, I had midterms :/ Something else that I am going to be doing on here is documenting my search for good college food. You see, I LOVE cooking, and I miss cooking when I am at school. My solution for this? Find recipes I can make using just my microwave. I have tried 4 different recipes, 2 of which were good.
            This first entry is my attempt at making spaghetti squash. Why is it called spaghetti squash you ask? well, It is a squash that when cooked shreds and looks like spaghetti strands. It is a very yummy thing that I was introduced to about three years ago. I never actually planned on attempting to make this in my dorm. Until my mom sent me back to school with one.
           Okay, first things first. You will need a spaghetti squash, sauce, butter (if desired), cheese (if desired), a fork, sharp knife, microwave safe plate, and a paper towel. Please note that my cooking times are for a 700 watt microwave.

 The hardest part of the entire process is cutting the squash in half. I didn't have a sharp knife in my room so it took me a few tries.

 Wet a paper towel and cover the spaghetti squash. Cook on high for 5 minutes. Remove from microwave.
 Take your fork and start to "shred" the squash. Do this by scraping the fork along the edges of the squash. At this point I added a little bit of butter. Recover the squash and microwave for a minute. Remove again. finish shredding the squash.
 At this point I dumped the squash into my microwave safe bowl and added the pasta sauce. At this point I would usually add some shredded cheese. However, my mom was awesome and sent me back to school with a little mason jar of homemade sauce, so I thought the cheese wasn't necessary (her sauce is so good I could just eat it with a spoon). After the sauce/cheese is on microwave another 45 seconds. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment